Đề thi vào lớp 10 môn tiếng Anh – Đề số 12 (Có đáp án)
(1-3). Choose the word whose underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
1. a. subject b. lunar c. erupt d. suffer
2. a. creature b. freedom c. appear d. peaceful
3. a. sure b. sight c. season d. soil
(4-5) Choose the word whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others.
II. GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY
(6-25) Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence.
6. He draws inspiration ______ ordinary scenes and simple places that he knows and loves.
7. The sales tax adds 8%_____the price of clothes.
8. It was really kind_______ you to help those poor people.
9. I’ve studied English_____ nearly three years.
10. Malaysia is divided___ two regions, known as West Malaysia and East Malaysia.
11. You’d better take your raincoat with you ___________ the weather changes. It could rain before you get home again.
a. now that
b. even if
c. only if
d. in case
12. I had considerable difficulty_______her to leave.
b. to persuade
d. for persuading
13. We spent a year ______ this house
b. to build
14. ‘What’s in the newspaper today?’ ‘I don’t know. I_______it yet.’
a. don’t read
b. haven’t read
c. didn’t read
d. won’t read
15. Most people you meet will polite to you ___ you are polite to them,
a. in case
b. only if
16. Global communication was transformed by the__________ of the Internet.
17. If Luke______ more attention in class, he would get better results.
c. had paid
d. would pay
18. Do you know_______?
a. what wrong was it with
b. what’s wrong with it
c. what wrong was with
d. it what wrong is it with
19. We must hurry. There’s_______
d. a few
20. The children, _______ parents work late, are taken home by school bus.
21. I think the teacher as well as his students________
d. to be
22. The driver was badly________ in the accident.
23. The air now is not as pure as it__________ .
a. is used to being
b. used to be
c. was used to
d. is used to be
24. Maths and English are compulsory subjects on this course.
25. Only if it rains be canceled.
a. the picnic will
b. will the picnic
c. the picnic would
d. would the picnic
(26-30). Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that needs correcting.
26. There are (A) some exchange (B) students live (C) in the dormitory on campus (D).
27. If (A) we expect (B) to pass this examination, we have to (C) study more careful (D).
28. There’s no (A) point to talk (B) to such a (D) narrow – minded person like (D) him.
29. We arrived in the airport at 9 a.m and took a taxi to our uncle’s.
30. The CDs (A) here are more expensive (B) than these (C) over there (D).
(31-35). Use the correct form of the word given in each sentence.
31. Consumers now want products that will not only work_______ , but also save money. (effect)
32. The next stage in the________of television is interactive TV. (develop)
33. He is very_________ to everyone, so he has got few friends. (friend)
34. Students should aim to become more_________of their teachers. (depend)
35. English__________from Spanish in that it is not pronounced as it is written. (different)
(36-45). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
Books are written to provide knowledge and good books enrich the (36)_________ . By putting ourselves under the influence of superior mind, we improve our (37)____ powers. (38)_____ good books we learn that people everywhere are the same, in all ages and in all classes. This knowledge improves our love of and helps us to live in peace with them. We also understand that the world was made not only for man (40)_______ but for every (41)_____ that can feel hunger and thirst, (42)______ and cold. Though it may be possible for us to travel throughout the world and see things (43)_____ today, it is not possible for us to see things that happened in the past. But good books help us to see not only into the remote (44)________ of the world today but also the world in (45)_______ our ancestors live.
c. each other
d. the others
b. to happen
(46-50). Read the passage below carefully and choose the correct answer a, b, c or d.
The invention of the phonograph happened quite by accident. Thomas Edison moved to Menlo Park, New Jersey, in 1876, where he established an industrial research laboratory. There, Edison was working on a carbon telephone transmitter to improve the existing Bell telephone system.
In that laboratory a year later, Edison invented the phonograph while he was trying to improve a telegraph repeater. He attached a telephone diaphragm to the needle in the telegraph repeater; in this way, he was able to produce a recording that could be played back. After he made some improvements to the machine, he tested it. He recited ‘Marry Had a Little Lamb’ into the machine and played his voice back to a very surprised audience.
46. What is the best title for the passage?
a. Thomas Edition’s Many Inventions
b. Improvement in the Telephone and Telegraph
c. A Research in Edition’s Laboratory
d. An Accidental Invention
47. In what year did the invention of phonograph occur?
d. not mentioned
48. What was Edison working on when he created the phonograph?
a. A telegraph repeater
b. A telegraph diaphragm
c. A telephone repeater
d. A telephone diaphragm
49. According to the passage, how was the phonograph made?
a. With a telephone needle and a recorder
b. From a recording of a telegraph
c. With only a telegraph repeater
d. From a combination of telephone and telegraph parts
50. According to the passage, how did Edition test his new invention?
a. He made improvement to the machine.
b. He used a carbon transmitter.
c. He read a children’s rhyme.
d. He reproduced the audience’s voice.
(51-55). Choose the best sentence (a, b, c or d) made from the given cues.
51. if you/ stay/ late/ tired/ tomorrow//
a. If you are staying late, you can feel tired tomorrow.
b. If you stay late, you will feel tired tomorrow.
c.If you stayed late, you would feel tired tomorrow.
d. If you stay lately, you are going to feel tired tomorrow.
52. English/ speak/ almost/ part/ the world//a
a. English is spoken in almost every part of the world.
b. English is speaking in almost every part in the world.
c. English is spoken in almost all parts in the world.
d. English has spoken in almost every part of the world.
53. We/ celebrate/ Mother’s Day/ as/ show/ love/ gratitude/ mothers//
a. We celebrate Mother’s Day such as to show love and gratitude to our mothers.
b. We celebrate Mother’s Day so as to show the love and gratitude for our mothers.
c. We celebrate Mother’s Day so as to show love and gratitude to our mothers.
d. We celebrate Mother’s Day as well as show the love and gratitude to our mothers.
54. throw/ thousands/ tons/ rubbish/ forest/ every year//
a. People throw thousands tons of rubbish into the forest every year.
b. People are throwing thousands of tons of rubbish in the forest every year.
c. People throw thousands of tons of rubbish into the forest every year.
d. People threw thousands tons of rubbish in the forest every year.
55. computers/ network/ use/ modems/ telephone lines//
a. Computers can network by using modems and telẹphone
b. Computers are in network using modems or telephone lines.
c. Computers are networked to use modems and telephone lines.
d. Computers can be networked using modems and telephone lines.
(56-60). Rewrite the sentences so that they are nearest in meaning to the sentence printed before them.
56. We should do something about the air pollution.
57. Nowadays people would rather watch TV than go to the cinema.
Nowadays people prefer____________________________________________
58. I’ve never seen such an interesting sight before.
59. The last time he wrote to his parents was two months ago.
60. Do few students learn Russian nowadays?
Few students_____________________________________________________ ?
6. d 7. c 8. b 9. b 10. a
11. d 12. c 13. c 14. b
15. d 16. c 17. b 18. b
19. d 20. d 21. a 22. b
23. b 24. b 25. b
26. C (living)
27. D (carefully)
28. B (in talking)
29. A (at)
30. C (those)
36. a 37. c 38. b 39. a
40. d 41. b 42. d 43. c
44. a 45. b 46. d 47. b
48. a 49. d 50. c
56. Something about the air pollution should be done.
57. Nowadays people prefer watching TV to going to the cinema.
58. This is the first time I have ever seen such an interesting sight.
59. It’s two months since he wrote to his parents.
60. Few students learn Russian nowadays, don’t they?