Đề thi vào lớp 10 môn tiếng Anh – Đề số 6 (Có đáp án)
(1-3). Choose the word whose underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
1. a. couple b. about c. doubt d. without
2. a. fear b. dear c. bear d. hear
3. a. honest b. honey c. homeless d. hope
(4-5). Choose the word whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others.
II. GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY
(6-20). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence.
6. I’d rather not have been absent_______ class yesterday.
7. She wants to be independent_______ her parents.
8. She got up when the alarm went_______.
9. The children were so______ by the film on TV that they didn’t want to go to bed early.
10. I have to go to the meeting _____ I want to or not.
d. only if
11. After Jack’s mother died, he was_______ up by his aunt.
12. It looks like they’re going to succeed________ their present difficulties.
b. because of
c. even though
13. Jane is the______ of the three girls.
d. most pretty
14. There’s plenty of time for you to make up your mind. You______ decide now.
15. Robert asked what time _______ close that evening.
a. the office
b. will the office
c. would the office
d. the office would
16. Five million bottles of champagne_______next year.
a. will produce
b. will be produced
c. will be producing
d. will have produced
17. What_______ if you_________ an alien from outer space?
a. will you do – meet
b. do you do – meet
c. would you do – me
d. would you do – would meet
18. In Viet Nam, people enjoy _______ newspaper and magazine.
a. read to
d. in reading
19. We stopped _______ a some magazines on our way to the station.
a. to buy
c. for buying
d. having bought
20. ‘Would you like a cup of coffee?’ ‘______’
a. Yes, I would
b. Yes, I do like.
c. Yes, please.
d. Yes, of course.
(21-25). Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, c or D) that needs correcting.
21. TheNew York (A) subway system is the most longest (B) underground railroad (C) in (D) the world.
22. He always drives (A) his car too(B) fast that (C) he often causes (D)
23. I’d ratherto stay (A) at home than (B) go (C) out at (D) weekends.
24. Children are not allowed to go (A) out alone (B) after midnight because (C) lack of security (D).
25. His grandfather left (A) him 50,000 dollars, this (B) was too big a sum (C) to him.
(26-30). Use the correct form of the word given in each sentence.
26. Japan is an_______________ country. (industry)
27. Kate’s___________ has kept her away from school for a week. (ill)
28. It doesn’t cut at all. (use)
29. Some students in my class are starting to learn another language and they find it____________ . (enjoy)
30. The news caused great______________ among her friends, (excite)
(31-38). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
People use energy each day for transportation, cooking, heating and cooling rooms, manufacturing, lighting, (31)______ , and many other uses. The choices people make about how they use energy – (32)______ machines off when they’re not using them or choosing to buy (33)______ vehicles and energy-efficient appliances – affects the environment and everyone’s lives. What is the difference between energy conservation and energy efficiency? Energy efficiency is using (34)______ that requires less energy to perform the same function. Using a compact (35) . light bulb that requires less energy instead of using an incandescent bulb to produce the same amount of light is an (36)____ of energy efficiency. Energy conservation is any behavior that results in the use of (37)_____ energy. Turning the lights off when leaving the room and (38)______ aluminum cans are both ways of conserving energy.
(39-43). Read the passage below carefully and choose the correct answer a, b, c or d.
Along with jogging and swimming, cycling is one of the best all-round forms of exercise. It can help to increase your strength and energy, giving you more efficient muscles and stronger heart. But increasing your strength is not the only advantage of cycling. Because you’re not carrying the weight of your body on your feet, it’s a good form of exercise for people with painful feet or backs. However, with all forms of exercise it’s important to start slowly and build up gently. Doing too much too quickly can damage muscles that aren’t used to working. If you have any doubts about taking up cycling for health reasons, talk to your doctor and ask his/ her advice.
Ideally you should be cycling at least two or three times a week. For the exercise to be doing you good, you should get a little out of breath. Don’t worry that if you begin to lose your breath, it could be dangerous and there must be something wrong with your heart. This is simply not true; shortness of breath shows that the exercise is having the right effect. However, if you find you are in pain then you should stop and take a rest.
39. This piece of writing is for__________ .
d. sportsmen and women
40. What is the writer’s purpose?
a. to amuse
b. to amuse
c. to warn
d. to persuade
41. People with back problems might go cycling because___________ .
a. they avoid putting all their weight on their feet
b. it can help to strengthen their back
c. they can start slowly and build up gently
d. it give them more efficient muscles.
42. What is the disadvantage of sudden exercise?
a. You can lose your breath.
b. You may have a heart attack.
c. You can damage muscles that aren’t used to working.
d. You can be painful.
42. Which of the following is NOT true?
a. Cycling is an excellent form of exercise.
b. You should do cycling as quick as possible.
c. Going cycling regularly and you’ll get stronger and healthier.
d. If you have any health problem, check with your doctor first.
(44-46). Choose the sentence (a, b, c or d) that is almost the same in meaning as the sentence given.
44. Tom writes French as well as he speaks it.
a. Tom, is bad at writing French.
b. Tom does not speak French so well as he writes it.
c. Tom writes and speaks French equal well.
d. Even though Tom writes French well, he cannot speak it.
45. The game will be held, rain or shine.
a. The game will be cancelled because of the rain.
b. There will be no game whether it rains or shines.
c. If the weather is fine, the game will be held.
d. There will be a game regardless of the weather.
46. Never has anyone spoke to me like that!
a .I never speak to anyone that way.
b. Everyone speaks to me that way.
c. No one speaks to me that way.
d. Some people always speak to me that way.
(47-50). Rewrite the sentences so that they are nearest in meaning to the sentence printed before them.
47. ‘I’m taking my French exam tomorrow,’ Mary said to John.
48. She’s always phoning me at work when I’m busy.
49. They couldn’t do anything to stop people polluting the river.
50. The game was called off because of heavy rain.
21. B (longest)
22. B (so)
23. A (stay)
24. C (because)
25. C (which)
26. industrial/ industrialized
47. Mary told John that she was taking her French exam the following day.
48. I wish she didn’t phone me at work when I was busy
49. Nothing could be done to stop people polluting the river
50. It rained so heavily that the game was called off.